scope of view
Electrical power subsystem is one of the main subsystems in a satellite. Its main function is to distribute uninterrupted power to all other subsystems. Other functions include power generation, power storage and to also detect any fault in the system.
A satellite Electrical Power Subsystem (EPS) provides the required electrical power for other subsystems to perform their tasks. This subsystem includes the energy generation distribution modules. The top-level typical functions of EPS can be summarized as in:
- Supply continuous power to the loads during the mission lifetime.
- Control and distribute electrical power to the satellite.
- Fulfill the loads average and peak power requirements.
- Control the process of charging/discharging of battery
- Provide regulated voltage bus to the loads.
- Provide command control capability and telemetry of the subsystem‘s health.
- Maximum Peak power tracking to keep solar cells close to their most efficient operating point.
Number of Project members
up to 8 students
EPS Board (simulation; circuit design)